Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Curried Chickpea Salad - something different

This one's a bit different from the standard bean/legume salads I've been eating pretty regularly for the past several weeks. I used the curry variation of this recipe for chickpea salad (without raisins), and instead of jarred vegan mayonnaise I used 1/4 a recipe of this homemade mayo. It's basically just like the vegan mayo recipe I've made a few times from How It All Vegan, except calls for olive oil instead of canola. I didn't quite use all the oil called for, and mine set up just fine. Using the olive oil gives it a slight tinge of green, but that's not really noticeable once you mix it into the salad. I used plain unsweetened soy milk in mine, and I'd imagine that almond milk would work the same, although I have not tried it myself.

After I gobbled up that first batch, I used some of my remaining chickpeas to make the salad again without the curry. Not adding the raisins made it slightly bitter, so this time I added a diced up orange pepper to balance out the flavor, and a generous dash of celery seed. I've just realized the recipe I posed calls for black salt - I didn't use any and it was fine, although now I'm intrigued!

No comments:

Post a Comment