Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dahl

The ultimate vegan student food. I assume most vegans have an ingrained knowledge of how to make dahl, but here's my loose recipe. It's probably completely inauthentic, but I think it's tasty and filling enough.

First I soak some red lentils for a few hours. When I'm ready to start prepping, I dice an onion and 2-3 cloves of garlic and saute it in 2 Tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Sometimes I add some diced green pepper. Next I add a dollop of red curry paste, which I've found really works better than the mad assortment of random Indian spices I used to use (note: I have no idea how to make proper Indian food). Once I've stirred that in and let it sizzle for a moment, I add my lentils (1 part lentils to 2 parts vegetable broth - usually I'll make about a cup of lentils). Then I cover the pot, turn the heat down to low, and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring every now and then.

Often I will just eat this as is, but if I'm feeling less lazy I'll eat it over some quinoa with some chopped parsley on top, maybe with some garbanzos mixed in. I also prefer to serve this with some steamed greens of some variety, because red lentils are just so ugly and beige looking when they're alone on the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment